Welcome to the Old Pound Loney
Above; Looking along Cullingtree Road to Albert Street
The Pound Loney was a little lane(loney) which ran off Divis Street to Durham Street, the lane ended at the side of Barrack Street;s old Belfast animal Pound hence its name, a little stream called the Pound Burn ran along one side of the animal Pound. In later years streets of working class two up and two down houses were built on the west side of the Pound stream which were boundered by Divis Street, Albert Street and Durham Street, this soda farl shaped district became known as 'The Pound Loney' after the original old lane and stream. Some of the street names in the old district were , English Street, Baker Street, Brook Street , Quadrant Street, Scotch Street. Whitewell Court, Curry Street, Bread Street, Irwin Street, Derby Street, Nail Street, Cinnamond Street, etc. Significant buildings in the old district was St. Peter's Catholic Cathedral, Durham Street Mill and "Barneys Mill" a huge flour mill situated in Divis Street from this Bread and Baker Streets were so named. Barney was the legendary Barney Hughes the Belfast baker who invented the famous bap which trendies today refer to as 'The Belfast Bap' which was a cheap bread cob. Hughes's colleague was John Alexandre who made the land available, through Hughes as a middle man, for the Catholic church to build St Peter's on this enabled the church to merely pay peppercorn rent for the land.
The Huge Hungarian ("Barney's Mill") Flour Mills Divis Street
Looking up Divis street from Barracks Street Corner 'mid 1800's
Above; Baker Street Residents In 1968
MUCH MORE ON THE OLD POUND LONEY IS LOCATED IN RUSHLIGHT MAGAZINE'S BELFAST HISTORY, PHOTOGRAPHIC AND VIDEO ARCHIVES, Est.1972.
Contact JoeGraham Rushlight123@hotmail.com
78 ANDERSONSTOWN PARK BELFAST BT11 8FH
TEL 028 90626631